Valid Names ResultsOpisthoscelis serrata Froggatt, 1894 (Eriococcidae: Opisthoscelis)
- Opisthoscelis serrata Froggatt 1894b: 346-347. Type data: AUSTRALIA: Victoria, Bendigo, on Eucalyptus sp., by W.W. Froggatt. Syntypes, female, Type depository: Orange: Agricultural Scientific Collections Unit, Orange Agricultural Institute, NSW, Australia; accepted valid name Notes: Syntypic gall material in ASCT. Type depository information provided by Gullan (personal communication, June 10, 1996). Illustr.
Families: 1 | Genera: 1
- HardyGu2010: pp.8 ( Adult (F) ) [Key to adult females of species of Opisthoscelis and Tanyscelis]
- Systematics: Adult females of O. serrata can be recognized easily by the shield of rugose sclerotic cuticle on the dorsal surface of the head, and the pair of marginal spine-tipped fleshy projections on each side of each abdominal segment. (Hardy & Gullan, 2010)
- Structure: Female gall green, tinged with yellow, spherical, generally formed singly, basal orifice an irregular slit with rugose warty edges, gall soft and spongy with large chamber. Adult female is pale yellow, elongate, rounded (Froggatt, 1894b). Female gall spherical, sometimes with a tapered point, opening on opposite side of leaf. Mature female filling gall cavity. Male gall opening oblong, surrounded by a slightly raised lip on abaxial leaf surface; oppoiste side of leaf with small globose swelling. (Hardy & Gullan, 2010)
- Biology: Galls on leaves of E. largiflorens and E. polyanthemos protrude as a sphere on one side of the leaf. In contrast, galls from the leaves of E. melliodora and E. microcarpa protrude equally from both leaf surfaces and the females are smaller. Females from all galls look suimilar, although differing in size.
- General Remarks: Detailed description and illustration of adult female and gall by Froggatt (1894b). Recent description, illustration and photograph of gall in Hardy & Gullan (2010).
- Cocker1896b: taxonomy, 329
- Fernal1903b: taxonomy, 47
- Frogga1894b: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 346-347
- Frogga1898a: description, distribution, taxonomy, 497
- Frogga1921a: description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 150
- HardyBeGu2011: phylogeny, taxonomy, 500-502
- HardyGu2010: description, distribution, host, illustration, structure, taxonomy, 14-17
- Hoy1963: catalog, distribution, host, taxonomy, 178
- Kozar2009: distribution, taxonomy, 104
- MillerGi2000: catalog, description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 415
- Pierce1917: distribution, economic importance, 99
- Weidne1974: description, distribution, 461