Valid Names ResultsSphaerococcus froggatti Maskell, 1894 (Pseudococcidae: Sphaerococcus)
- Sphaerococcus froggatti Maskell 1894: 94-95. Type data: AUSTRALIA: Victoria, Flemington, near Sydney, on Melaleuca linariifolia, by W.W. Froggatt. Syntypes, female, Type depository: Auckland: New Zealand Arthropod Collection, Landcare Research, New Zealand; Washington: United States National Entomological Collection, U.S. National Museum of Natural History, District of Columbia, USA; accepted valid name Notes: Miller et al. (1998) have determined that this species belongs in the Eriococcidae, but did not assign it to a new genus. Illustr.
Families: 1 | Genera: 1
- Melaleuca linariifolia | Maskel1894b
- Victoria | Maskel1894b
- Systematics: Slide-mounted adult female with: enlarged setae absent; hair-like body setae scattered over both surfaces; numerous quinquelocular pores on both surfaces; legs absent; antennae 1- or 2-segmented (Miller, 1999 personal observation).
- Structure: Females form brown or reddish yellow galls, attached at the base to the twigs of host. Galls are cup shaped in form, but covered with curling cylindrical processes, often much longer than the basal gall, so that the whole gall is enveloped in a feathery mass of these filaments. Adult female develops on the gall cavity, is dull red in color and is dusted with white meal giving it a bluish grey tint. Female is subglobular in form (Froggatt, 1921b).
- General Remarks: Original description and illustration by Maskell (1894b). This species was moved into the Eriococcidae by Miller et al. (1998).
- Beards1984: distribution, host, taxonomy, 88
- Cocker1896b: taxonomy, 329
- DeitzTo1980: distribution, taxonomy, 20
- Frogga1907: taxonomy, 380
- Frogga1921b: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 10, 11
- HendriKo1999: 165
- Kozar2009: distribution, taxonomy, 107
- Maskel1894b: description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 94-95
- MillerGi2000: catalog, description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 458
- MillerGuWi1998: taxonomy, 291
- StoetzMi1979: catalog, taxonomy, 15
- Willia2017a: catalog, list of species, 246