Valid Names ResultsPseudococcus swezeyi Ehrhorn, 1916 (Pseudococcidae: Pseudococcus)
- Pseudococcus swezeyi Ehrhorn 1916: 240. Type data: HAWAII: Oahu Island, on Acacia koa. Syntypes, both sexes, Type depository: Honolulu: Bernice P. Bishop Museum, Department of Entomology Collection, Hawaii, USA; accepted valid name
Families: 1 | Genera: 1
- VonEllWa2016: pp.74-78 ( Adult (F) ) [Pseudococcus species present in the New World]
- Zimmer1948: pp.177 ( Adult (F) ) [Hawaii]
- Systematics: Von Ellenreider & Watson stated that the series of specimens of P. gallicola, P. lycopodii, and P. swezeyi examined in 20116 varies greatly in number of cerarii, number and position of OR on dorsum and venter, and various measurements, with most characters states and ranges overlapping. They examined one specimen, collected from under bark on Acacia koa and identified as P. swezeyi by Beardsley which had dorsal OR lateral to posterior ostioles and ventral submarginal OR on SI–VII, rendering the morphological distinction among these three species unreliable.
- Biology: Living in galls on the leaves of its host plants.
- General Remarks: Good description and illustration of the adult female given by Ferris in Zimmerman (1948). Ferris (1935:127) recorded, under this binomen, a mealybug species from the Marquesas Islands. Later (Ferris in Zimmerman, 1948:244) he pointed out that this was a misidentification of an unidentified mealybug.