Valid Names ResultsMelzeria horni Green, 1930 (Eriococcidae: Melzeria)
- Melzeria horni Green 1930b: 216-217. Type data: BRAZIL: Sao Paulo, on undetermined host, by J. Melzer. Lectotype, female, Type depository: London: The Natural History Museum, England, UK; accepted valid name Notes: Paralectotypes in BMNH and USNM. Illustr.
- Melzera horni (Green, 1930); Lindinger 1937: 189. change of combination
- Sao Paulo | Green1930b
- Systematics: Slide-mounted adult female with: enlarged setae absent; dorsum with macrotubular ducts often with 1 or 2 setae associated with dermal orifice; dorsum with quinquelocular pores; anal lobes absent; anal ring without pores and setae; microtubular ducts medium in length, with 2 sclerotized areas (Miller & Williams, 1998).
- Structure: Adult female concealed within the anterior extremity of an elongate, white woolly ovisac. Adult female ovate and brown (Green, 1930). Miller & Williams (1998) state that the adult female is broadly oval and without protruding anal lobes. The first-instar nymphs of M. horni are easily separable from those of other eriococcid firs-instar nymphs known from the Neotropics in having only setose dorsal setae. In addition, the first-instar nymph has: 1) 6 segmented antennae; 2) exceptionally long microtubular ducts restricted to the dorsdum and margin; 3) cupolate-shaped marginal spinose setae; 4) no cruciform pores; 5) single loculate pores lateral to each spiracle; and 6) anal lobes unsclerotised and not differentiated. (Hodgson & Miller, 2010)
- General Remarks: Original description and illustration by Green (1930b). Subsequent description and illustration by Miller & Williams (1998).
- Green1930b: description, distribution, illustration, taxonomy, 216-217
- HodgsoMi2010: description, illustration, taxonomy, 60-62,101
- Kozar2009: distribution, taxonomy, 104
- Lepage1938: catalog, distribution, host, 382-383
- Lindin1937: taxonomy, 189
- MillerGi2000: catalog, description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 401-402
- MillerWi1998: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 459-463
- MorrisMo1966: taxonomy, 118
- Willia2017a: catalog, list of species, 236