Valid Names ResultsMadarococcus nelsonensis (Hoy, 1962) (Eriococcidae: Madarococcus)
- Eriococcus nelsonensis Hoy 1962: 31, 114. Type data: NEW ZEALAND: South Island, Takaka Hill, on Nothofagus fusca, 15/10/1935, by G. Brittin. Holotype, female, by original designation Type depository: Auckland: New Zealand Arthropod Collection, Landcare Research, New Zealand; accepted valid name Illustr.
- Acanthococcus nelsonensis (Hoy, 1962); Miller & Gimpel 1996: 602. change of combination
- Madarococcus nelsonensis (Hoy, 1962); Hardy, Beardsley & Gullan 2008: 369-373. change of combination
Families: 1 | Genera: 1
- New Zealand
- South Island | Hoy1962
- HardyGuHo2008: pp.375-376 ( Adult (F) ) [Key to species of Madarococcus based on adult females]
- Hoy1962: pp.31 ( Adult (F) ) [New Zealand species of Eriococcidae] Key as: Eriococcus nelsonensis
- Systematics: Slide-mounted adult female with: enlarged setae slender, conical, apices slightly rounded, all setae approximately same size, scattered over surface of dorsum, posteromedial and mediolateral areas of abdomen without conspicuous setae; suranal setae spatulate; microtubular ducts medium in length, without sclerotized area (Hoy, 1962). The enlarged hind coxae of M. nelsonensis might be confused with those of M. cavellii. Otherwise, the two species are easy to separate, M. cavellii having numerous spinose setae on the lateral areas of the venter, and M. nelsonensis having setae on the posterior abdominal segments much smaller than those found on the rest of the dorsum. Madarococcus nelsonensis is most similar to M. argentifagi, M. rubrifagi, and M. nothofagi, but can be distinguished from these three species by the greatly enlarged hind coxae and numerous microtubular ducts on the ventromedial surface of the head. (Hardy, et al., 2008)
- Structure: Sac of female is tawny and felted (Hoy, 1962).
- Biology: This species occurs on a range of Nothofagus species (Hoy, 1962).
- General Remarks: Detailed description and illustration by Hoy (1962).
- HardyGuHe2008: phylogeny, structure, taxonomy, 369-373, 393
- Hoy1962: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 31, 114
- Hoy1963: catalog, distribution, host, taxonomy, 104
- Kozar2009: distribution, taxonomy, 103
- MillerGi1996: taxonomy, 602
- MillerGi2000: catalog, description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 278
- Wise1977: distribution, taxonomy, 98