Valid Names ResultsMacrocepicoccus loranthi Morrison, 1919 (Pseudococcidae: Macrocepicoccus)
- Macrocepicoccus loranthi Morrison 1919a: 198. Type data: GUYANA [= BRITISH GUIANA]: Georgetown, on Loranthus sp.. Lectotype, female, by subsequent designation (MillerDe1977,117). Type depository: Washington: United States National Entomological Collection, U.S. National Museum of Natural History, District of Columbia, USA; accepted valid name Illustr.
Families: 2 | Genera: 4
- Hodgso2020: pp.32-34 ( Adult (M) ) [higher groups of Pseudococcidae]
- Biology: Kondo et al. (2008) recorded in Colombia fairly abundant populations of M. loranthi on mistletoe plants parasitizing Caryodendron orinocense, Persea americana and Terminalia catappa. Kondo et al. (2008) specifically indicated that all the mealybugs were found on the mistletoes and not on the host of the mistletoe suggesting that M. loranthi specializes on Loranthaceae. Recent observations of M. loranthi on Oryctanthus amplexicatus (Loranthaceae) show that aggregations of the mealybugs on the leaves are very active when disturbed (Takumasa Kondo, personal communication). This activity is not only confined to the feeding stages but also applies to the prepupae and pupae, which move rapidly. These prepupae and pupae are without any covering or cocoon-like structures and have little wax. (Williams & Hodgson, 2013)
- General Remarks: Description and illustration of the adult female by Miller & Denno (1977) and by Williams & Granara de Willink (1992). Description and illustration of the first instar nymph, second instar female nymph, third instar female nymph and fourth instar female nymph by Miller & Denno (1977). Description and illustration of the adult male given by Miller & Denno (1977). Description and illustration of the second instar male nymph, third instar male nymph and fourth instar male nymph given by Miller & Denno (1977).
- BenDov1994: catalog, 220
- HardyGuHo2008: molecular data, phylogeny, taxonomy, 51-71
- Hodgso2012: taxonomy, 64
- Hodgso2020: key, 34
- KondoRaVe2008: distribution, host, 37-38
- MillerDe1977: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 117-146
- Morris1919a: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 198-203
- Willia2017a: catalog, list of species, 248
- WilliaGr1992: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 227, 228
- WilliaHo2013: structure, 21