Valid Names ResultsCapulinia orbiculata Hoy, 1958 (Eriococcidae: Capulinia)
- Capulinia orbiculata Hoy 1958: 190-191. Type data: NEW ZEALAND: North Island, Pohangina Valley, on Metrosideros robusta, 07/07/1955. Holotype, female, Type depository: Auckland: New Zealand Arthropod Collection, Landcare Research, New Zealand; accepted valid name Illustr.
Families: 1 | Genera: 1
- KondoGuCo2016: pp.478-479 ( Adult (F) First instar ) [Capulinia species]
- Systematics: um:lsid:zoobank.org;act;5512EFBF-DFDB-4824-9285-E779372DDC72 Slide-mounted adult female with: antennae 1-segmented; front 2 pairs of legs represented by small sclerotized areas; hind legs slightly segmented, but not at apex of abdomen, possibly with a claw; spiracles with quinquelocular pores; tubular ducts invaginated (Hoy, 1958). First instar with: antennae 6-segmented; with 2 pairs of longitudinal lines of apically blunt enlarged setae on each side of body; without other pores or ducts (Hoy, 1958). The adult female morphology of C. orbiculata differs from that of C. jaboticabae, C. luma and C. linarosae. The hind legs of the later three species are well developed with the coxa retractable into a membranous pocket and the body shape is ovoid, whereas C. orbiculata has tubercle like hind legs with reduced segmentation with the coxa not in a pocket and the body is globular in shape. The antennae of C. orbiculata are reduced to tubercles with indistinct, if any segmentation, whereas the antennae of the other Capulinia species are well developed with 4 to 6 segments.
- Structure: Adult female is circular in outline and has some powdery wax with it in its depression. There is no test. Insect is pale yellow to cream in color (Hoy, 1958).
- Biology: This species occurs in circular depressions in the bark and cambium of its host (Hoy, 1958).
- General Remarks: Most detailed description and illustration by Hoy (1958).
- Brown1967: distribution, host, taxonomy, 130
- Hoy1958: description, distribution, host, illustration, taxonomy, 190-191
- Hoy1962: taxonomy, 14
- Hoy1963: catalog, distribution, host, taxonomy, 51
- KondoGuCo2016: distribution, key, morphology, nymph, taxonomy, 471-491
- Kozar2009: distribution, taxonomy, 96
- MillerGi2000: catalog, description, distribution, host, taxonomy, 76-77
- Willia2007a: structure, 1357
- Wise1977: distribution, taxonomy, 96